RSS is a standard feed format for publishing web content. RSS is popular for publishing Omnilert alerts to websites, digital signage, LED signs, and a host of other web-enabled services and devices.
Omnilert allows you to create as many RSS feeds as needed.
Once created, an RSS feed requires a basic configuration to function:
- Feed name: The title for the RSS feed.
- Feed description: A brief description of what the feed will contain.
- Duration: Determines how long messages stay published in the RSS feed. Once an RSS feed item expires, it will be removed by Omnilert automatically on the system's next sweep of expired items. Expired item sweeps occur every 15 minutes of the hour.
Once complete, copy the "Feed URL". That URL should be pasted into your RSS reader for your device or service that will monitor the Omnilert RSS feed.
- Omnilert's RSS feeds are standardized according to the RSS 2.0 standard.
- Feed items that have expired may remain published for up to 15 minutes (or until the next server sweep.) We recommend setting a longer duration as feed items can be canceled if no longer needed, but not "unexpired."
- Need to unpublish a feed item? You may cancel a published feed item from the Timeline view in Omnilert's admin console before it expires. See Canceling RSS Feeds
- New feed? Send it a test. The RSS feed URL may return a "403 Forbidden" error as the XML needs to be created on the URL and that won't happen until first use. To test it, send a message to just that feed.