Once installed on your mobile device, the Omnilert App will need to be configured.
What you'll need:
- Download and install the app to your device (Android or iOS)
- Obtain your Personal Access Code, either via the Subscriber Portal, via an invitation from your organization or directly from your organization's Omnilert admin.
Setting up the Omnilert app
When you first launch the app on your mobile device (iPhone, Android), the first screen displayed will request your "Personal Access Code". The app code entered here will link this device to your Omnilert subscriber.
Enter your code and then tap Submit to continue...
Note: You can obtain your Personal Access Code in the Subscriber Portal or it will be provided to you by your local Omnilert admin.
Next, the app will prompt you to allow this app to display Push Notifications on your device.
Notification permission is essential to allow this application to notify you when a new alert is available. Therefore, you will need to "Allow" this permission to get the most out of this app!
Inside the Omnilert app
Once your code is entered and the required permissions are granted, the app will open to its Messages screen. As the app is newly installed, you should see a simple "Welcome" message from your institution and any other messages they may have sent to you.
The Omnilert app is designed to be simple and easy to use. There are three sections within the app which can be accessed by the buttons at the bottom of the display:
- Messages: This is where alerts will appear and (if prompted) responses can be returned.
- Resources: (optional) Provides a list of links to resources provided by your institution, such as important docs, maps, links, and/or files for download to your device.
- Tips: (optional) Provides a method to communicate back to your organization by submitting "tips" or reports.
- Settings: App settings for your device's Omnilert app which can allow you to "reset" the app if you wish to unlink your device from your Subscriber Profile and reset your connection for any reason.
Emergency call button
If enabled by your institution, a red Emergency call banner at the top of the screen can be pressed (and held) to prompt your phone to call a pre-set telephone urgent call number.
The phone number and text label can vary depending on your institutions' setup. Typically, this will be the number of a local safety/security office or other emergency services relevant to your institution.
If enabled, this banner will appear on all screens within the app.
You can view any current or past messages sent to your device via the Messages screen. Messages will show in a timeline with the oldest messages at the top and most recent towards to bottom of the list.
Your organization may pose a question and request a response. If so, you will see that request and a list of response options below the most recent alert. Tap the desired response to submit it to your organization. (If the list is long, you can scroll horizontally.)
Responding to an alert
If prompted, you will see options to submit your response. Tap on the appropriate response to the prompts provided.
Note: You can only respond once to a given alert. After a response is submitted, it cannot be altered/changed.
NOTE: Tip Reporting is an optional feature that may or may not be available in your app, depending on your organization's setup.
The Tips screen provides a feedback mechanism for you to submit tips or other information back to your organization.
- "Select tip category": Your organization may provide multiple categories for different kinds of tips and feedback. Select the category that most closely matches the subject matter you'd like to communicate with them about.
Note: If your organization only has one category, you won't see an option to select a category at all.
- "Send tip anonymously": Your organization may allow anonymous tips. If so, you will see a toggle switch. If toggled "on", your tip will not include your profile information.
- "Send current location": Toggle this function "on" to enable sending your device's current GPS location along with the tip. This can be helpful to direct your organization to the correct spot; right where you are when you submit the tip!
Note: You can opt to allow this app to use your location once, never (disabled location), or any time you're using the app.
Once your tip has been submitted, you will see a confirmation screen as shown below:
Any past tip reports that you'd submitted will be visible on the Messages page within your subscriber app.
NOTE: Resources are an optional feature that may or may not be available in your app, depending on your organization's setup.
The Resources screen provides quick access to various files, documents, and links provided by your institution.
Simply tap an item to open that resource on your mobile device. If needed, you can search the list using the "Filter resources" option at the top.
Note: Resource items must be downloaded to your device in real-time. As such, internet access is required and standard data rates may apply.
Your institution may require additional logins or other access protocols to download documents or access any external links provided here.
The settings tab is used to access the settings for this app on your device and provides a Sign Out button that can reset your device's app setup. (This can be used to allow you to enter a fresh Personal Access Code to link to a different subscriber account if needed.)
You may also set the "theme" for your device to Dark Mode (for a darker color scheme), Light Mode (lighter color scheme), or just use your device's default color scheme.
If you "Sign Out", the app will need to be re-linked to receive future alerts. You'll need to enter your Personal Access Code again.
Please sign in to leave a comment.