Configure your organization's Omnilert App endpoint on the Endpoints >> Active screen.
While an app's primary purpose is direct communication (push notifications). The app can also be used to give subscribers easy access to additional information, such as documents, campus maps, important web links, or even videos. These links will appear on the Resources screen of the Omnilert App.
In Omnilert, these items are all called Resources and they can all be linked conveniently to the app for easy access.
To add/remove/edit links to your resources, go to the Resources tab.
Adding a new Resource item:
Resources are not uploaded to Omnilert or stored on Omnilert's servers. Rather, they are linked to any external source you would like to use (your local website, Dropbox, Google Docs, YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
When entering a new Resource, enter the following information:
- Resource title: The text label for this resource to display in the app.
- Resource description: A brief description of the resource's content. (Up to 250 characters.) this is displayed in the app.
- Resource type: The type of data located at that URL (or phone number)
- Resource detail: The web location (URL) of the resource or, if it's a phone number, the phone number to dial.
Omnilert does not store files in Resources. This feature provides links to external resources. Selecting the "type" helps the Omnilert app to direct the device on how to open the link.
The file type should be set as accurately as possible. Some mobile devices may need to open a special app or other software to properly display certain file types, like PDFs and videos.
Choosing the correct file type will help your subscribers' device display the item properly.
The supported resource types are:
- Document (Text file, Word Doc, etc.)
- PDF (PDF document file)
- Image (jpg, gif, or png images work best)
- Video (URL of mpeg, mov, YouTube, Vimeo, or another video file type/service)
- Link (A link to be opened in the device's web browser)
- Phone (A phone number. This will prompt the subscriber's phone to direct-dial the number right from the app.)
- Omnilert does not store files in Resouces. This feature provides links to external items (URLs, phone numbers, and/or documents hosted outside of the Omnilert system.)
- If no resources are present, the Omnilert subscriber app will not display any "Resources" tab to subscribers.
- Resources linked should be "mobile-friendly" as they will likely be viewed on a phone's display. Keep this in mind when designing documents and other items for your app's Resources.
- If you're unsure of how to categorize a resource's file type, try "Link" as it will send the URL to the mobile device's default web browser.
- Resource links are visible to all of your app's subscribers. Do not post internal/confidential materials via this method unless linked to a secured URL.
Once ready, click +Save new resource or +New to save a resource item.
Once saved, resources appear listed in the Resources tab of the endpoint settings. You can edit and/or remove a resource from Omnilert which will immediately update in each subscriber's Omnilert App.