Omnilert provides the ability to post alerts directly to your organization's Facebook Page as a "status" so that followers of your page will see the item in their Facebook feed.*
Facebook will require the following to configure and authorize Omnilert to post to your Facebook Page:
- You must be logged into Facebook with a valid Facebook user account. (The Facebook user login used must have administrative rights to the desired Facebook Page.)
- You must be using a standard browser (IE, Safari, Chrome, or Firefox). We advise using a PC or Mac and not a mobile browser for this configuration.
Once configured, you will be able to send to your Facebook Page from other sources (e.g. mobile web or the Scenarios app.)
To configure the Omnilert to post to your Facebook Page:
- Log into Omnilert as an administrator.
- Add the Facebook endpoint from Endpoints >> Add Endpoint in the main menu.
- Locate the new endpoint in the Endpoints >> Inactive list after adding Facebook and click on it to enter the Endpoint configuration screen.
- Click the Configuration tab (shown below).
- Then click the icon to copy your Omnilert ID. (You will need this ID momentarily.)
- Then click the Add to Facebook button to open a new page on Facebook and complete the setup.
Copying your Omnilert ID:
You will likely need this ID code to link Facebook to your account. Click the copy button shown below to copy the ID to your clipboard for later use.
Complete the link
Copy the Omnilert ID from within your account and then continue on to click the Add to Facebook button.
A new browser window/tab will open to log into Facebook (if you aren't already logged in, of course.)
Facebook will then prompt you to Allow Omnilert to view your account and post to your Facebook Page on your behalf. You must allow this access for Omnilert to post to your Facebook Page. (You will be allowed to select which Facebook Page Omnilert will post to in subsequent screens.)
First, Facebook will request that you allow Omnilert to access your public profile for Facebook. This is required to allow Omnilert to post.
Click Continue as... when prompted to continue the setup...
The following screen will request access to manage your Facebook Pages. This specifically allows Omnilert to post on your behalf.
Click OK to continue...
Note: You should only see these screens once unless you revoke Omnilert's access or change your Facebook password at a later date.
Once access has been allowed, you'll be prompted to select a page that you control and to input an "Omnilert ID".
Then, simply select your Facebook Page, paste the ID, and then click Submit.
The screens in Omnilert will then update to reflect the linking is complete and you can post to Facebook as an endpoint. The Add to Facebook button will be replaced with Remove from Facebook button and you'll be able to see the linked Facebook Page as well.
Sending Messages to Facebook:
Once configured, Facebook's endpoint will be selectable when composing messages.
Removing Facebook Linking
If you wish to unlink your Facebook Page from Omnilert for any reason, simply click the Remove from Facebook button and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Omnilert posts to "Facebook Pages" only. Omnilert cannot post to your personal profile or Facebook "Groups".
- Your Omnilert system's ability to post will be tied to the admin who authorizes access. If your revoke that Facebook user's access from the Facebook Page, it will remove Omnilert's ability to post to Facebook.
- Likewise, if the authorizing admin should happen to change his/her Facebook password, any access token granted to Omnilert will be revoked by Facebook. (Subsequent posts would be rejected by Facebook.) To correct this problem, simply repeat the authorization steps.
* Omnilert posts to your Facebook Page's feed but does not post to Facebook Messenger or Facebook Groups.