Groups provide an easy way to organize subscribers for targeting messages. Groups can be made to represent different locations, divisions, departments, etc.
Creating a group:
Creating a new group in Omnilert is simple. Log in as an administrator and open People >> Groups >> Add Group from the main menu.
Each group has the following properties:
- Group name: The name displayed for this group.
- Group description: A brief description of the group's membership.
- Keyword: The option "Group keyword" used for mobile opt-in (sign up via text message.)
- Options: You may choose to make the group "Private" (see below) and/or opt to make the group a default group.
There are two types of groups in Omnilert:
Public groups are groups that subscribers may choose to join when signing up or managing their own accounts via the Subscriber Portal.
Private groups are internal groups that subscribers do not see. Administrators add subscribers to private groups (manually or via CSV file upload).
A Default group is pre-selected on the sign-up form when new subscribers opt-in via SmartCode or the Subscriber portal.
Some Helpful Tips:
- Avoid redundant groups. Omnilert provides a default All Subscribers option when sending, so there is no need to create an "everyone", an "all employees" group, etc.
- Private Groups usually don't need a keyword. A keyword will allow ANY phone to join the group by texting the keyword to Omnilert's short code.
- Keeping it simple: Create as few groups as possible. You certainly can create as many groups as you like. However, more groups will complicate your processes. A simple guideline is to ask yourself "Will we ever need to send a message to this group by itself?" If the answer is "No", then you probably don't need that group.
- Create groups first: It's always best to set up your groups before you invite subscribers to join or import user info.