To send a message:
- First, log into Omnilert as an admin.
- Then open the Send Message page from the menu.
- Select Who: Pick a group or "All Subscribers" to send to every subscriber in your account.
- Select How: Pick one or more of the various Endpoints (SMS, Email, Voice calls, etc.) The options presented will depend on your setup, of course.
- Create Message Content: Select a template (if available) or type your Subject and Message.
When your message is ready, click Send Message at the bottom of the page. You'll see a confirmation box pop up to confirm that you want to send the message. Click Yes to confirm and send your message.
Some tips to keep in mind:
- Count characters. The system will show a character counter above the send button. This indicates how many characters are remaining for the chosen endpoints. Remember that SMS has a maximum of 160 characters.
- "All Subscribers" means everyone! Note that selecting "All Subscribers" will send to every subscriber in every group, even groups you don't normally send to. You'll see a red box warning of this when the "ALL SUBSCRIBERS" option is selected.
- Beware of timeout! If you leave yourself logged in without activity for more than 15 minutes, you may be automatically logged out! (You'll see a warning before this happens, but keep it in mind!)
- Watch out for emoticons! Remember that combinations of a colon ":" and just about any character will create different "emoticons" (aka "smileys") on cell phones!
- Be Careful with Text-to-Speech! If you're sending your message to the Voice endpoint, be sure to write in complete sentences and avoid abbreviations, shorthand, and other non-standard writing. Computer-generated speech tends to trip up on phone numbers, shorthand dates & times, email and web addresses, and proper nouns. If you're unsure about how a message will sound, record your own voice or send it to a test group first.