Access Views provide an optional, advanced set of management tools for controlling access within Omnilert. Utilizing Access Views provides an alternate system to control which admins can use items (records) within Omnilert.
What are "Access Views"?
An Access View is a pre-selected set of records that can be assigned to your Omnilert admins.
This new system of control replaces the "Permissions" settings for Templates, Scenarios/Actions, Groups, and Procedures.
Admins who are assigned a "view" can only see objects that are assigned to that view. So, assigning a view to an admin restricts their view but also grants them access to everything assigned within the selected view.
As such, this feature can be used to both limit access and streamline to process for setting up and managing admin accounts in Omnilert. This is particularly useful for multi-site-focused implementations, where people need to only see things related to their assigned site (view).
What is a "Record"?
The primary function of access views is to control admin access inside of Omnilert. Records are the various objects in Omnilert that your access views can restrict access to (groups, scenarios, templates, etc.)
The following is a list of the Omnilert records that can be view-restricted:
- Scenarios: Actions
- Scenarios: Triggers
- Priority Alerts: Custom Alerts
- Priority Alerts: Tip Reports
- Priority Alerts: Weather Alerts
- People: Subscribers*
- People: Groups
- Settings: Message Templates
- Settings: Admin Roles
- Settings: Endpoint Profiles
- Scheduled Messages (previously scheduled alert messages)
* Important Note: Assigning an access view to individual subscribers will limit the Omnilert SMS/Email/Voice/App messages that they receive to those sent to their selected access views.
How Access Views affect Omnilert admins
Once enabled, Access Views restrict what your admins can see and what they can do within Omnilert.
In short, there will be two kinds of admins in the system: view-restricted admins and unrestricted admins.
An admin who is assigned to one or more Access Views is restricted to the items within their access view(s). Thus we call them "view-restricted".
This will affect their experience inside of Omnilert in several ways:
- If a record isn't assigned to any access views, then your view-restricted admins simply cannot see or use it. Only your unrestricted admins will see it.
- A view-restricted admin will only see groups, templates, scenarios, etc. that are assigned to one or more access views that they both share.
- The People > Subscribers list will only display subscribers assigned to one or more of their assigned access views.
- The count of subscribers in each group on the "Send Message" page will reflect only those subscribers assigned within their access view(s). (However, sending an alert to a group still sends to all members of that group!)
- Whenever a view-restricted admin sends out a message to "All subscribers", it will be sent only to subscribers with their access view(s).
Once you've set up your Access Views in Omnilert, you can simply assign the desired view to an admin to grant them access to all of the records(Groups, Templates, Scenarios, etc) for that view.
Unrestricted View Admins
An admin with no access views assigned to them is completely unrestricted and can see all records within Omnilert.
- When an unrestricted admin sends to "All subscribers", the message goes out to every subscriber, regardless of their access view, groups, etc.
- Assigning access views to records will not affect any unrestricted admin's ability to see or use any records within the account.
Creating a new Access View
To create a new Access View in Omnilert:
- Go to Settings > Access Views
- Click Create new access view
- Next, input the details for your new access view:
- Access view name: The name of this view within the Omnilert admin portal.
- Add to location: Allow this access view to appear as a "select location" option within the Omnilert Subscriber Portal. This will allow your subscribers to select this view for themselves.
- Location name: The display name shown within the subscriber portal for this view.
Assigning Access Views to Records
Once enabled, the various records (Groups, Templates, Scenarios, etc.) will display an option to assign one or more Access Views.
An "Access Views" item will be found on the Details tab for records that can be restricted by Access Views.
In the example below, the "Campus is closed (NYC)" template is assigned to the "New York Campus" view. This means that this template will only be visible to admins with access to that specific access view.
Assigning an access view to a Template, Scenario, or Action allows that item to be used by any admin assigned to that access view.
Assigning access views to an admin
Assigning an access view to an admin restricts their access to their assigned view(s). This will limit the admins' access to records accordingly.
To assign an access view to admin:
- Go to People > Admins and click on the desired admin in the list.
- You will see an option on the Details tab to select one or more Access View
If multiple views are selected, then that admin will be able to see any records available within any of their assigned access views. As such, selecting multiple views for an admin grants them access to more subscribers and features within the system.
Important Notes about Access Views
- Access Views are not compatible with the Scenarios app for iOS and Android. You can use the standard admin web portal to access Omnilert from your mobile devices and launch scenarios. (See this article)
- View-restricted admins who send to "All subscribers" will only send to subscribers assigned to their access views. If you're not planning to assign access views to individual subscribers, we recommend removing "All Subscribers" from admin roles for any restricted admins. (See this article)
Please sign in to leave a comment.