An SMTP Trigger is used to launch Scenarios via an email sent to Omnilert. Whenever an allowed email arrives at your SMTP Trigger address, any linked Scenarios will launch. It's that easy.
Anything that can send an email to Omnilert can be used to initiate messages using an "SMTP Trigger."
Creating an SMTP Trigger
To create a new SMTP Trigger, open Scenario Manager >> Add Trigger
Then simply select your Trigger type as "SMTP" and then enter the basic info for your new email trigger: a Name and a Description.
When ready, click Add Trigger to save your new Omnilert trigger.
Now, we need to set up our new trigger for use.
Click on the new trigger's name on the list.
Each trigger will have its own details, such as the Name and Description.
It will also have a unique email address. The Trigger Email is the email inbox at Omnilert that will cause any linked Scenarios to launch when an allowed email is received. (Scroll down for the Security Settings.)
Without any security settings, any email sent to your trigger's address will cause scenarios to launch. Of course, these trigger addresses are very long so accidental emails are highly unlikely. Still, you may wish to further secure your scenarios to prevent an unauthorized email from causing an unwanted message to send.
For that reason, each SMTP Trigger has optional Security Settings which can be used to prevent any unauthorized emails from activating the trigger.
The security setting options available include:
- Virus Scan: A basic virus scan. If a virus is detected, Omnilert will fail this check.
- Spam Detection: If the email does not pass through Omnilert's spam filtration, the email fails this check.
- SPF Validation: Omnilert will check the SPF record for the incoming email.
- DKIM Validation: Omnilert will check the DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM) signature.
- Allowed Source(s): Provide a list of sender "from address" email addresses allowed to send to this trigger. If there's nothing in the list, then any sender address is allowed.
For most of these settings, there are 3 possible options:
- OFF: This setting is bypassed.
- GRAY: Only a "hard fail" will stop the trigger. Any "Unknown" or "Neutral" result to the test will be accepted and allowed.
- PASS: The email must fully pass the check. ("Uknown" and "Neutral" results fail the check.)
Hot to attach a trigger to a Scenario
In order to function properly, a trigger needs to be attached to at least one scenario that's ready to go. (See Creating a Scenario [VIDEO])
To activate a trigger:
- Go to the Scenarios Manager > Triggers > Inactive list
- Click the desired trigger on the list.
- Go to the Scenarios tab for the trigger.
- Select the desired scenario from the list of Scenarios.
- Click Update trigger to attach the Scenario to this trigger.
Once completed, Omnilert will launch the attached Scenario whenever a valid email is received at the trigger's address. (To filter emails, see the "Security Settings" section above.)
Activating a new trigger
By default, new triggers are created as "Inactive". This allows you to create the trigger and configure it before it goes "live".
Once you'd configured your new trigger, you'll need to activate it.
Once activated, the trigger will launch its attached scenario whenever an email is received.
Troubleshooting Email Triggers
Typically, the most common setting to use is the Allowed Source(s), which is used to restrict the allowed sender to just those that you want to initiate this trigger. For example, this might be your software monitoring vendor or a weather service's "from" email address.
Please note that when filtering by the sender email address, Omnilert will check the true source of the email. Be sure that the RETURN-PATH for the sender matches the sending address or the email may not pass through the filter.
Also, note that SMTP triggers will work best with direct emails to the triggering address. When sending triggers via aliases, distribution lists, or other indirect email sources, emails to the trigger may be filtered. In some cases, a custom short address may be needed to work with some systems. If a special triggering address is needed, contact your Omnilet account manager to work with our team.
File size limitations
Please be aware that the system allows trigger emails of up to 256k which also includes the envelope. For this reason, we strongly advise sending email as plain-text email and do not include attachments to avoid your triggering email being rejected due to size limits.
Need more help? See video: Creating an SMTP Trigger