NOTE: This product version has been deprecated should be replaced with Omnilert Desktop Alert v2 which is a new endpoint with a new client application.
The Omnilert Desktop Alert (Legacy) endpoint allows alerts to be displayed on Windows and Mac desktops and laptops through a client app installed on each computer.
There are several settings that control the default behavior of alerts on desktop machines:
- Display mode: Determines how the message will be displayed; Full-screen, scrolling ticker, or as a popup
- Display duration: Determines how long a posted alert will display on-screen as well as how long the message will remain active for desktops to retrieve it when polling. This value should always be greater than the Polling interval.
- User acknowledgment: Determines whether the client PC can dismiss an alert, thereby acknowledging receiving the alert on that machine. These results are recorded in the message history for the alert.
- Alert tone duration: Determines how long the desktop will play the alert sound when a message is received. The klaxon volume and availability depend on the system volume and speakers attached to the desktop.
- Polling interval: Determines how often each desktop machine will poll Omnilert to retrieve desktop alerts. This interval must be shorter than the display duration and should be greater than 30 seconds.
Installing Omnilert Desktop Alert (Legacy)
Download the installer for your organization's ODA installer from the Installer tab.
Installers are provided for Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac desktops/laptops. (Unix/Linux is not supported.)
The installer will require admin privileges on the desktop and will ask that you enter a name for the desktop. This will be the name displayed in your ODA "Devices" list.
Note: Windows installations of the OSA client app can be performed remotely via scripts or software package management systems. [Click here for instructions on remote installations]
The Devices tab lists all desktops (PCs, Macs) with the ODA client app installed that have registered themselves with your account.
The list can be sorted by each column header and searched by the devices names.
To edit a desktop device's settings, such as its name, just click the on the device in the list.
The Last Active column indicates the last time a specific desktop attempted to register (e.g., booted up or launched the app) or the last time it received an alert. Use this data to determine if a PC has stopped using the app. (For example, a PC might get wiped/reloaded, decommissioned, etc.)
To delete one or more desktops from your list, select the checkboxes for the desired desktops and then choose Delete from the menu at the top of the list.
Note: Deleting a desktop will remove it from your list. However, if/when that desktop relaunches the ODA client app, it will attempt to re-register itself with your system if the app is still installed on it.
Desktop groups are logical groups of computers (desktops) with the client app installed.
Desktop groups are created and maintained manually in Omnilert. They are used to target messages to specific PCs, typically in special offices or buildings.
Desktop Alert Message Status (Timeline)
After sending a message, Omnilert will log the status for each desktop chosen for the alert.
See this article for more information on the meaning of each status returned.